The Cycling events of the Rio 2016 Summer Olympics will take place in four disciplines from 6 to 20 August 2016 across four different venues.
- Road Cycling Events will take place at the Flamengo Park in the Copacapana Cluster from 6 to 10 August 2016.
- Track Cycling Events will take place at the Rio Olympic Velodrome in the Barra Cluster from 11 to 16 August 2016.
- BMX Events will take place at the Olympic BMX Center in the Deodoro Cluster from 17 to 19 August 2016.
- Mountain Biking Events will take place at the Olympic Mountain Bike Park in the Deodoro Cluster from 20 to 21 August 2016.
There are a total of 18 medal events (BMX – 2, Mountain Biking – 2, Road – 4, Track – 10).
In the Road Cycling Event, cyclists must complete a set road course in the fastest time.
In the Track Cycling Event, cyclists compete to achieve the fastest times on an oval-shaped 250m wooden track.
In the BMX Event, eight cyclists race simultaneously over an obstacle course, jumping high into the air, with the winner being the first to cross the finish line
In the Mountain Biking Events, competing over an off-road course, mountain bike riders must adapt quickly to the tough, varied terrain in order to cross the finish line ahead of their rivals.
The Road Cycling and Track Cycling Event made its Olympic debut at the 1896 Summer Olympics in Athens, the Mountain Biking Event made its Olympic debut at the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta while the BMX Event made its Olympic debut much later, at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.
I am sure you want to know all details about Cycling at the 2016 Summer Olympics.
Rio 2016 Summer Olympics Cycling Events :
Road Cycling Events :
- Men’s road race
- Men’s individual time trial
- Women’s road race
- Women’s individual time trial
Track Cycling Events :
- Men’s team sprint
- Men’s sprint
- Men’s Keirin
- Men’s team pursuit
- Men’s Omnium
- Women’s team sprint
- Women’s sprint
- Women’s Keirin
- Women’s team pursuit
- Women’s Omnium
Mountain Biking Events :
- Men’s cross-country race
- Women’s cross-country race
BMX Events :
- Men’s BMX
- Women’s BMX
The qualifications for all these cycling events get over on 31st May 2016.